Anytime there is a crossover between two different nerdy franchises, it’s a reason for excitement. Like those comics where Superman met Spider-Man, or the film Freddy vs Jason. And a newly announced multimedia franchise crossover might be the nerdiest — and the coolest — we’ve ever heard of.
Godzilla and several other Kaiju are set to join the deck of the uber-popular fantasy trading card game Magic: The Gathering. The monsters will be featured in an upcoming Magic card set called “Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths.” The new deck takes place in a monster-filled land called Ikoria, which features a number of new giant Magic-specific beasts and classic Kaiju all battling it out for supremacy. There are 19 cards from the Godzilla franchise that will be a part of the Ikoria set, the full list of which you can see below.
- Anguirus, Armored Killer
- Babygodzilla, Ruin Reborn
- Biollante, Plant Beast Form
- Bio-Quartz Spacegodzilla
- Destoroyah, Perfect Lifeform
- Dorat, the Perfect Pet
- Ghidorah, King of the Cosmos
- Gigan, Cyberclaw Terror
- Godzilla, Doom Inevitable
- Godzilla, King of the Monsters
- Godzilla, Primeval Champion
- King Caesar, Ancient Guardian
- King Caesar, Awoken Titan
- Mothra, Supersonic Queen
- Rodan, Titan of Winged Fury
- Spacegodzilla, Void Invader
- Crystalline Giant (Japanese market exclusive)
- Dirge Bat (Japanese market exclusive)
- Mothra’s Great Cocoon (Japanese market exclusive)
Is this the greatest crossover event in history? Considering that you’ll be able to play a card called “Spacegodzilla, Void Invader,” we’re going to say yes. Yes, it is. “Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths” goes on sale on April 16 on Magic: The Gathering Arena, with a worldwide retail release on May 15.